Law Journals, News, E-publications, & Periodicals
There is no shortage of easy-to-locate current news sources on the Internet. The difficulty comes when you are looking for either a hard-to-find publication or an article more than a week old. The Law Library relies on a large collection of print law journals and the extensive electronic collection of HeinOnline to enable our reference librarians and law library subscribers to access historic legal commentary.
When reference questions come in further from the legal field, we rely mostly on databases provided for free to Hamilton County residents through the fantastic Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. Here are a few of the databases that are particularly useful for finding article content:
- A resource from Proquest Information and Learning, the database includes numerous American Bar Association titles, including the flagship ABA Journal, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, among over 9400 other publications. Some are available in full text and some only in abstract form. Great source for medical, legal, scientific, and trade publications. Also has an alert feature, which can send e-mails to notify you when new content matches your interests.
- Infotrac has a well-known sibling, Legaltrac, and provides the same index of publications searchable by subject or keyword. The OneFile database is more extensive than Legaltrac but this Thomson-Gale offering has both full-text and abstract information and includes newspapers (NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal among others), newsletters, and wire services.
- Newsbank focuses primarily on newspapers and business news. It has an excellent archive of recent years of Ohio newspapers, including full-text, browsable Cincinnati Enquirer since January 1999.
- This OCLC service enables you to search science, humanities and business journals. You can also use this access to search for books and other content through Worldcat and search over any three OCLC databases all at once, including Medline and GPO government documents.
- National District Attorneys Association
- Animal Cruelty, Child Abuse, Civil Prosecution, DNA, Elder Abuse, Ethics, Gangs, Gun Violence Prosecution, Hate Crimes, Homeland Security, IdentityCrime, Cyber Crime, Juvenile Justice, Management, Traffic Law, Trial Advocacy, National Prosecution Standards, Victim Assistance, Violence Against Women, and Workload Assessment