The dedication of the Hamilton County Courthouse took place on the afternoon of October 18, 1919 to record crowds. Businesses closed early and the mayor declared a half-holiday for the entire city. A grand parade wound through the streets with flags waving and bands playing. Senator Warren G. Harding gave the principal address to officially declare the Courthouse open for business.
2019 marks 100 years that this magnificent “Temple of Justice” has been interpreting and implementing the law for those who enter its hallowed domain. A select committee headed by Common Pleas Judge Melba Marsh has been hard at work for months planning a celebration, if not as grand as the dedication 100 years ago, definitely does the building justice. (Ha!)
The Cincinnati Law Library Association and the Hamilton County Law Library have thrown our full support behind the Centennial Committee. We have put together a list of 100 facts about the Hamilton County Courthouse that we will begin to publish 100 days before the Centennial as a Countdown to the festivities. We’ve also put together some deep dives on various court cases and world events from 1919 as a reflection on where the world was then and where it is now.
Judge Marsh is also publishing a book that should be out later this year that chronicles the history of the Courthouse, including trials that were held here, both famous and infamous. We’ll post more information about that when it is available.
You can follow the 100 Courthouse facts and updates about the celebrations with the hashtags #CourthouseCentennial and #100years.